Thursday, February 18, 2010

Things I Miss The Most

I hired a guy a few years ago who was a Jehovah’s Witness and was very careful to tell me that he didn’t want doughnuts on his birthday, which is what our custom was at the place I worked before this one. Except I didn’t know why he was telling me that, because he’d never said what his faith was and of course I didn’t ask - I did have that much Personnel Policy sense - and anyway I wouldn’t have known that they eschew birthday celebrations in the first place.

I told him in what I thought was good humor that it was okay: we’d just have doughnuts without him in his honor, which he didn’t think was all that funny. So then he had to tell me why he didn’t celebrate birthdays and why he’d rather the rest of us not celebrate his birthday, either, and it caused a Big Panic about religious discrimination and what would happen if we ever had to fire him – which we did, though pretty clearly for performance issues.

On the rare occasions that I miss being a manager, I think about things like this and feel better.

1 comment:

John Hornor said...

Whenever I see the word "doughnuts" spelled like that, rather than the more popular and incorrect "do-nuts" it makes me think of dog's balls. I can explain it.

Anyway, there's the internet and this meme thingy and I'm tagging you and yeah it's like junior high but I'm doing it anyway.

You must click this link.